During My Divorce, What Am I Responsible For Doing?
During my divorce, what am I responsible for doing?
Your attorney will explain what actions you should take to further the divorce process and to help you reach the best possible outcome.
You will be asked to:
- Keep in regular contact with your attorney.
- Update your attorney regarding any changes in your contact information, such as address, phone numbers, and e-mail address.
- Provide your attorney with all requested documents, including financial documents.
- Provide requested information in a timely manner.
- Complete forms and questionnaires.
- Appear in court on time.
- Be direct about asking any questions you might have.
- Tell your attorney your thoughts on settlement or what you would like the judge to order in your case.
- Remain respectful toward your spouse throughout the process.
- Keep your children out of the litigation.
- Comply with any temporary court orders, such as restraining or support orders.
- Advise your attorney of any significant developments in your case.
By doing your part in the divorce process, you enable your attorney to partner with you for a better outcome while keeping your attorney fees to a minimum.