>  Child Custody   >  Can Child Custody Be Altered After My Divorce Is Finalized?

Can Child Custody Be Altered After My Divorce Is Finalized?

Divorce is tough and final, but all decisions made at the time the divorce is finalized do not have to be permanent. At any time after a divorce is finalized, either ex-spouse can request to modify an aspect of their divorce agreement. The court understands that changes occur all the time and with life changes, adjustments need to be made. Whether it’s a change in address, job, your child’s school or anything in-between, your divorce agreements can be modified to work with your life. This includes your child custody arrangement.

Motion to Modify Your Divorce Agreement

At any time after your divorce is finalized, whether it’s days or years after, you can file a motion to modify your divorce agreement. People most commonly use this motion to modify child custody arrangements, child visitation, child support, and spousal support.

Maybe one parent is moving near a better school district and would like to keep their child during the week so they can attend. This would be an example of the need to modify child custody arrangements. A parent moving far away for a job opportunity may also be cause for altering custody arrangements. But whatever your situation may be, the court will allow you to modify your divorce agreement as long as it’s in the best interest of your child.

You can file a motion to modify your divorce agreement with the court where your divorce was originally filed or where your current judgment was issued. If you don’t speak to your ex regularly you may need to serve them with your new motion. You may then go through the court process again to come to terms that best suit your child.

Everyone’s situation is different, and everyone’s relationship with their ex is different. Modifying your divorce agreement isn’t always so cut and dry. That’s why it’s always important to have a family law attorney on your side to help you get through the process as smoothly as possible.

Call Now (504) 780-8232